Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sentiments on Arrival

The flight was really good, and I slept most of the way. I was pretty overwhelmed when we first arrived - the first thing I noticed was the smog smell. As soon as our plane landed, the smell just wafted through the entire aircraft. While we were waiting to go through customs, I decided to stop by the bathroom and found a hole in the floor. After staring at it for some time and trying to strategically plan my next move, I decided to come out and ask the expert - quack - who came with me and explained the approach to take (it seems that I hadn't thoroughly thought it through). Thankfully, she found a western toilet in the last stall, so I will have to wait for my hole-in-the-floor-peeing experience - what fun. We picked up our bags and exchanged money (we were all standing there on our bloomberg anywhere's looking up the spot rate - a clear sign that it's been too long since we've taken a vacation). Our driver picked us up (he doesn't speak english, so it's a lot of fun communicating with him) and took us to the parking lot. As we were walking to the car at night, I got pretty umcomfortable - there were all these stray dogs and random groups of guys walking around what's best described as a giant construction site (then again, this is my first trip to a third world country - interesting introduction). The scenary instantly got better once we arrived at our lovely hotel, which was designed by an MIT graduated architect. The rooms/beds are very comfortable and our hotel staff is great. We will write more after today's sight seeing activities and we will also post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment