Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goa Reflections

Today is new year's day and our first full day in Goa. This is truly
an amazing place. We were picked up at the airport by our driver here
and off we went to our resort.

We are stayin in a very small place in a secluded area of Goa, near
Colva beach. Our hosts in Jaipur described this beach as a "nice place
for retirees." However, I think this is also the perfect place for
boring 20-somethings such as ourselves. The beach is idyllic and we
found a cute seaside restaurant which provides its customers with
covered beach chairs. All we had to order were some drinks. We also
later inquired about lunch and were presented with two enormous trays
of fresh fish, lobsters and prawns that we could pick from. David and
I ordered a sea bass and Ellen and Wenjun are having a lobster and
prawns. Yum!

The beach itself is as close to perfect as imaginable. It's not at all
crowded, the sand is fine and soft, the water warm and the surf
gentle. We will take a look later at some of the "even nicer" beaches
we have read about in the Lonely Planet, but so far we are perfectly
content.

As we were walking to the beach for the first time yesterday (about a
20 minute walk) I was trying to stay out of the road, and as a result,
got a little close to a standing cow. It was too close for the cow's
comfort and it gently nudged me with its head. As Ellen and I would
say, it "bodaied" me. It was more funny than scary, I don't think the
cow was being aggressive, just letting me know I was invading its
personal space. So the moral of this story is, you have to really
watch out for wild animals while in India! :)

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment