Saturday, January 3, 2009

On the train to Kerala

It's Dave here; I can't seem to post using my own alias, so I'm sending
this through Ellen's. Last night we had to listen to the symphony of
snoring that is a class 2AC sleeper car on what I imagine is a fairly
typical Indian train. I certainly hope that this train isn't an example of
an extrodinarily nice one.

Throughout the night people were coming and going, and the "beds" were
pretty uncomfortable; it was hard to get much sleep. Eugene, Ellen and I
gave up around 7:30.

I think the others were expecting better accomodations based on their
experiences on overnight trains in China and Europe. I didn't know what to
expect, but feared even worse. I felt very bad for Ellen having to sleep
here, but I was so filled with nervous energy from the situation that I
could help from laughing for the first 30 minutes of the trip.

Eugene has meet an interesting man who is telling him about his experiences
in the Indian Army and managing a hotel in Goa. I probably join him when
Wenjun wakes up.

In the meantime we have 6 or 7 hours to go on the journey. There should be
some beautiful views.

-dave

No comments:

Post a Comment